UNAIDS key achievements in Egypt
With the support of the Joint UN Programme, Egypt response has strengthened:
- Anonymous voluntary counseling and testing facilities in 14 sites across Egypt.
- The provision of free antiretroviral medication for people living with HIV.
- Peer-education programs and small scale outreach programs for key populations.
- Availability of strategic information to guide the national response to HIV.
- Rights issues for people living with HIV, including right to access healthcare and employment.
- Sexual and reproductive health services for women living with HIV.
- Media products and portals to outreach youth with key awareness messages and addressing stigma and discrimination.
Through UNAIDS support in 2015, Egypt has launched its first robust inclusive national strategy for addressing HIV and AIDS with four main pillars:
- Prevention of HIV among vulnerable and key populations,
- Treatment, Care and Support for People living with HIV
- Enhancing the enabling environment with special focus on addressing stigma & discrimination
- Enhancing management and coordination of the response.